On Tuesday of this week, August 28, 2012, I had to say goodby to my beloved kitty Chloe. This is possibly the most difficult time of my life, and I will miss her terribly.
Chloe was almost 18 1/2 years old. She came to live with my daughter and Smokey and I when she was just 8 weeks old. We don't know her exact date of birth, but since it was somewhere around St. Patricks day, we just called that Chloe's birthday as well. (We celebrate Smokey's on the 4th of July - she turned 19 this year.)
As the kitties aged, I had a very hard time admitting that they were getting old. I just didn't want to face the fact until about 2 years ago. In May, 2010, my daughter came over to watch the Lost series finale with me. She hadn't been here in a while - she doesn't come over here often - with 3 young kids, she's not as mobile as I am. She took one look at Chloe and said, "Mom, she's blind." I must be a bit dense, because I'd noticed her eyes looked different, but it didn't dawn on my that she was blind.
She got around quite well without vision - I just made sure I didn't move the furniture, and she moved more slowly. She did still bump into walls and furniture, but I'd had a few people that were surprised when I told them she's blind - they said she really got around well considering.
Probably about 2 months ago, she really started to slow down. She started to age. About a month ago, she fell asleep on the arm of the couch, and when she woke up, I think she just didn't realize she was up higher than normal, and she fell off the couch. She's fallen twice since then while trying to get up onto the couch. She's had some problems walking since then, but it wasn't bad until Saturday.
Saturday, just out of the blue, she started moving like she was in a lot of pain. She mostly stayed in one place in the kitchen, on a towel that I put down for her, but when she walked, you could tell she was in a lot of pain. It got worse, little by little. Monday night she ate a little, and then started retching like she was throwing up. Tuesday morning, I put food in front of her, she stood up, hobbled away, and started that retching again. Then when she was done, she laid down under the coffee table and started meowing a very sad, painful meow. I called the vet, told them I think it's "time", but wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. Appointment time was 5:30. I got home at 4:30, I walked right past her, talked to her, but she didn't realize I was there till one of my sisters called me, and Chloe heard my voice then. She started meowing that sad meow again, but it was sadder than it was in the morning. She was in a lot more pain. My daughter got here at about 5 and drove us to the vet. He said she probably had a stroke, that the way she was lying indicated it. He said it's very common at her age.
I'm gonna miss her. She was the best spur of the moment decision I've ever made. There will never be another one like her.
Chloe - March 17, 1994 to August 28, 2012




No comments:
Post a Comment